Launched in 2009, LA&PS is a landmark in York's academic history, bringing together the strengths of two of the University's former Faculties: the Faculty of Arts and the Atkinson Faculty of Liberal & Professional Studies.
LA&PS is home to a rich diversity of programs in the social sciences, humanities and professional fields, led by award-winning faculty whose research has global impact. Our long-standing commitment to accessibility, effective teaching, quality academic programming, experiential learning, community outreach and internationalization are not merely legacies of our past, but the foundation for our future.
- The Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies (LA&PS) brings together internationally recognized research, a devotion to effective teaching, and a commitment to diversity, equity and social justice.
- The range, global sensitivity and intensity of disciplinary and interdisciplinary degree programs are mirrored by the diversity and engagement of its professors and students.
- The Faculty is dedicated to furthering its already strong research and service cultures and ensuring that all its many researchers bring their scholarship into the classroom and out into the community.
- The Faculty is particularly sensitive to the aspirations of its constituent communities and the challenges those communities face.
- To sustain and renew the ideals and practices of the modern university, the Faculty draws upon its own vibrant tradition of self-examination and reflection.
- Committed to providing access to qualified applicants, including non-traditional and international students, the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies melds access and excellence.