The Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies' (LA&PS)new Internship Awards Program (IAP) aims to encourage students to engage with organizations, whose work addresses key issues of social and economic justice. These are carefully designed experiential education/work-integrated learning opportunities for enhancing and deepening our students' learning in their respective programs of study.
We recognize that many organizations who undertake important work for social and economic justice are not able to offer paid opportunities. This is why LA&PS is making available a limited number of awards for students to engage in a meaningful work opportunity with selected organizations.
In this inaugural round, we are working with organizations which focus on equity and inclusion or on economic justice (such as cooperatives, credit unions etc.). More internships, particularly with organizations who work on indigenous justice, are forthcoming.
VALUE: $6,000 per award
DURATION: 12 weeks during the Summer 2018 term (May to August)
DEADLINE: March 14, 2018, 4:30pm
(We encourage early applications, and will not accept late submissions)
ELIGIBILITY: The awards will be available to all LA&PS Honours students in 3rd year, who have completed a minimum of 54 credits or 4th year students who have at least 15 credits remaining to graduate.
In order to qualify for this award, students must:
- Have a minimum GPA of 6.0
- Be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident of Canada or Indigenous Person of Canada
- Demonstrate both academic excellence and financial need
- Students are eligible to receive the internship award only once during their undergraduate studies at York.
FIVE POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
- Communication & Social Media Intern (ARCH Disability Law Centre)
- Community Research Intern (York U - TD Community Engagement Centre)
- Financial Literacy Developer Intern (Jane/Finch Centre)
- Community Development Action Intern (Jane/Finch Centre)
- Program Communications Intern (West End Food Co-op)
APPLICATION PACKAGE: Your application package must contain the following required documents:
- LA&PS Internship Award Application Form – Choose the position you wish to apply for and complete the application form in its entirety; make certain that all of your contact information is accurate and up to date before submitting your application.
- Resume – Do not forget to proofread your resume!
- Statement of Purpose – Prepare an essay, between 250 and 500 words and include the following:
a. Identify the Internship Award that you are applying to and state why you are interested in this internship position and organization
b. Explain how the proposed internship will be a valuable experience, and identify how this internship relates to your career goals.
c. Briefly describe your financial situation and explain how receiving this award will add to your education and future intentions.
- One Letter of Recommendation – Include a recommendation from a faculty member or a current/previous supervisor. The letter should outline your strengths, motivation and suitability for the internship.
Please note: If you are short-listed for an interview, we will consult with your Undergraduate Program Director or Program Coordinator to obtain their assessment as to whether the award advances the learning outcomes/expectations of your program and degree.
Record on your transcript: Successful candidates will be enrolled in the non-credit course, GCIN 3000 0.0 (Liberal Arts & Professional Studies Internship Work Term) on your transcript. You will be assigned a pass/fail grade in conjunction with the award.