Department of Politics
S672 Ross Building
The Political Science program is designed to develop a student’s ability in three areas:
- Political analysis: students will learn to think critically about politics and develop an in-depth understanding of the nature of government and law, accountability, the use and abuse of power, rights and responsibilities, diversity and inclusion, and global politics;
- Critical skills: the program develops critical skills that are key assets for future employment, including effective written and oral communication, analytical and quantitative skills, and collaborative skills; and
- Democratic awareness: students will learn what active citizenship entails and the possibilities of acting politically to bring about change.
The department offers a broad range of courses that focus on different themes. Students who major or minor in Political Science may choose to focus on one theme, or may take courses from several of the following themes:
- Law, Social Justice and Ethics
- Global Politics
- Canadian Democracy in the North American Context
- Development, Inequality and the Global South
- Gender, Diversity and Inclusion
- Political Economy
- Political Thought
- Public Policy and Administration
- Violence and Security
For more detailed information, please consult the departmental supplemental calendar or our website.
Graduates of York’s Political Science program have established successful careers in areas such as: law, public service, the private sector, international agencies, advocacy organizations, the media, and active politics. Graduates of the program are also especially qualified to pursue graduate studies in political science and related disciplines in the social sciences. Visit our website to see where our graduates are today.
For specific program requirements, please consult the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies Programs of Study section.
The department also offers a Specialized Honours BA degree program in Global Political Studies.
Political Science (BA) Degree Requirements
- Specialized Honours BA: 120 Credits
- Honours BA: 120 Credits
- Honours Double Major BA
- Honours Double Major Interdisciplinary (Linked) BA
- Honours Major/Minor BA
- Honours Minor BA
- BA: 90 Credits
Political Science (iBA) Degree Requirements
- Specialized Honours iBA: 120 Credits
- Honours iBA: 120 Credits
- Honours Major/Minor iBA
Course Listings Timetables Summer 2017
Course Listings Timetables Fall/Winter 2017-2018