The Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies is committed to offering its students global experiences where they grow and learn about the world.
The International Study Abroad Award for LA&PS is for students in this Faculty who require financial assistance to study or participate in international activities abroad as part of their academic program.
- Upon return, students are expected to share their experiences with their peers by attending a study abroad session/event.
- One grant per year and up to a maximum of two grants per student are awarded. One award is associated with a student exchange program.
- To apply, Int'l Study Abroad Award application (doc).
Any student whose home faculty is LA&PS, has a minimum GPA of 5.00 and has been approved for one of the Study Abroad options.
- Academic Exchanges (one or two terms) with one of York University's official partner universities
- York International Global Internships
- YorkU Abroad courses (attach a letter of confirmation from YorkU Abroad Office)
- An experiential field trip abroad in an LA&PS course (attach a letter of confirmation from your professor)
- Letter of Permission (LOP) in either one or two courses or one term up to a full year with an internationally accredited academic institution (submit copy of approved LOP form signed by department)
- Practicum abroad (attach letter from practicum coordinator)
- International conference presentation outside Canada
◦ Submit a copy of your presentation abstract
◦ Attach email or letter of official abstract acceptance from conference organizers
◦ Attach email confirmation from professor acknowledging the student’s presenter/ presentation
- Deadline Approaching: Canada-China Scholars' Exchange Program
July 14, 2015 – The China Scholarship Council offers a number of short-term, non-degree-seeking awards to Canadian academics, students and professionals who wish to study or conduct research at participating Chinese institutions for the 2015-2016 academic year. Interested applicants have until August 3, 2015 to complete and submit their application.Please visit Canada-China Scholars' Exchange Program for full program details and to submit an online application.
- Funding for outgoing students on exchange, global internships and YorkU Summer Abroad, visit York International.
- York University's Student Financial Services may offer scholarships, awards and bursaries.
- External sources:
◦ Personal income and savings to cover costs
◦ Any external award/scholarship from another organization (Do a Google search or check the website of the Government of Canada or of the country you will be visiting for potential sources of funding)
Mitacs Globalink Research Award
The Mitacs Globalink Research Award provides funding to support senior undergraduate and graduate student research projects abroad.
- Up to $5,000 in research award to the Canadian supervisor for student travel expenses
- Open to all disciplines
- For joint projects with academic collaborators over 12-24 weeks abroad
- Partner countries: Brazil, mainland China, India, Mexico, Turkey and Vietnam.
- Applications accepted any time
- For more information, please click here.
German Academic Exchange Service, North America
The German Academic Exchange Service, North America (in German, DAAD - Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst) are scholarships and grants awarded to Canadian scholars interested in pursuing mobility to Germany.
For more information, please click here.
Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
A number of scholarships are available through the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) endowment fund for Canadian students at the Master’s level who wish to study in South Africa as of January 2016.
The CSFP endowment fund was established to support low and middle income Commonwealth countries wishing to host students from other Commonwealth member countries.
The deadline to submit an application to these scholarships is September 7, 2015. Applicants must hold a first degree of upper second class Honours standard (or above) in a discipline relevant to that in which study is proposed.
Government of Mexico Scholarship
The Government of Mexico, through Mexico’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE), offers scholarships for study or research at the Master’s, PhD and Postdoctoral level or for medical specialization and sub-specialization. Canadians must apply to one of the participating post-secondary institutions (Spanish only) listed on Mexico’s Agencia de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo (Spanish only) website. Please note that each participating institution offers different academic programs within the scholarship program. Applicants must ensure that their field and level of study of research is offered at the institution selected. It is also recommended that applicants review the requirements of their institution of interest.
Deadline application: September 21, 2015
Application website: Foreign Government Awards Program - Mexico